Improvements and changes
This chapter describes some of the major improvements and changes in GPS/GLONASS/QZSS firmware 1.00 compared to earlier u-blox firmware versions.
Power Save Mode
– Power Save Mode is only supported for GPS operation.
– Performance improvements of the Power Save Modes (PSM) have been implemented in order to reach even lower power consumption while maintaining excellent positioning performance.
PSM on/off and cycle operation modes with periods longer than 1 s are now supported. Support of QZSS in PSM has been improved to enhance immunity against potential cross correlations effects from QZSS satellites. Software backup with any of the EXTINT pin is supported also in continuous operation mode.
– For a full description of this new enhanced feature, please refer to the u-blox 6 Receiver Description including Protocol Specification (GPS/GNSS)
– The Maximum performance and eco mode available on previous u-blox 6 firmware version have been merged into one single continuous mode, merging the intelligence of both previous modes. – The old configuration settings are both now map to the new continuous mode for backwards compatibility. If the eco mode was used for power saving purposes, we recommend to now use the cyclic tracking Power Save Mode instead.
– Jamming immunity when in cyclic operation has been further improved and cross correlation mitigation algorithms were added to cyclic operation.
Configurable minimum number of satellites
– New configuration option is available (CFG-NAVX5) to only allow a fix to be valid, if a minimum number of satellites used have a CN0 above a configurable threshold.
Default leap seconds
– The number of default leap seconds is set to 16, which will be the number of leap seconds starting end of June 2012.
– The parameter ‘Number of search channels’ in the UBX-CFG-SBAS message is ignored. Instead, the settings from UBX-CFG-GNSS are used. The selection of default SBAS satellites being searched has been adapted to the satellites currently active or planned to be active by the various SBAS operators.
Faster CW detection
– Strong CW interferes are detected much faster than u-blox 6 firmware version 7.03 and earlier, usually within 2 s.
Signal tracking improvements
– The signal phase lock sensitivity in GPS mode has been improved when the signal strength is below 30 dBHz. Tracking reliability is therefore generally improved in difficult situations: e.g. strong temperature fluctuation, unstable clocks or extremely high receiver mobility.
It is highly recommended to always use the most recent driver version available.
Try to set a system restore point before installing a device driver. This will help if you installed an incorrect or mismatched driver. Problems can arise when your hardware device is too old or not supported any longer.