As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
WhatsApp’s versatility has made it one of the most popular messaging apps in the whole world. It features voice and video calls, voice chats, and messaging and it’s available on a variety of platforms, including Android, iOS, and desktop, making it a wonderful medium for communication for different kinds of people.
Sometimes though, you might need to switch from an Android to an iPhone. Unfortunately, backup files from the Android version of WhatsApp aren’t compatible with the iOS version of WhatsApp.
But don’t worry! That’s what we are here for. This tutorial will provide you with easy-to-follow, step-by-step instructions on how to backup and restore WhatsApp from Google Drive to iPhone.
Table of Contents
Backing Up And Restoring From Google Drive
The first thing you have to do is to backup your WhatsApp data to Google Drive. Here’s a detailed guide on how to do it.
Once you’re done backing up your WhatsApp data, you can now restore it to any device you want, anytime, including iPhones. However, although restoring WhatsApp from Google Drive to an iPhone is possible, it’s not going to be a one-step process.
Issues When Restoring From Google Drive to iPhone
Before we begin the restoration process, it’s important to learn why transferring backup files from Android to iPhone is such a complicated affair.
When you change devices, it’s normal to want to retain all your previous WhatsApp chats in the transition. Even though there are a couple of ways you can go about doing this, in the end, you can only back your data from your Android on Google Drive.
And although a Google Drive backup is quite useful in many ways, such as for recovering deleted data, using it to restore data to an iOS device isn’t one of them.
That’s because WhatsApp’s iOS version is only compatible with iCloud, which means you can’t directly transfer your Google Drive-stored WhatsApp information to your new iPhone.
Having Google Drive installed on your iPhone doesn’t fix this issue, either. The encryption protocols used to backup your WhatsApp data aren’t compatible with iOS. Although your iPhone may be able to recognize that there is an encrypted file, it won’t be able to make sense of it.
So if you want to restore backup data from Google Drive to your iPhone, the first thing you have to do is to restore the data somewhere else first.
Restoring WhatsApp From Your Google Drive To iPhone
Generally, there are two parts to this process. First, you’ll need to restore the backup files to a third party. Next, we’re going to have that third party export the data to our iPhone.
You will need the following components for this process:
report this ad
An Android phone with enough space to accommodate your backup WhatsApp data
Your WhatsApp data backed up in Google Drive
The iPhone or iPad that you will be exporting the data to
Keep in mind that you need to have WhatsApp installed on both devices before this whole process can work.
Part 1: Restoring Backup Files To A Third-Party Android Device
For the data to be usable by your iOS device, it has to be backed up on something other than Google Drive. Therefore, we’re going to restore the backup data on an Android device first. Follow the steps below.
If WhatsApp is already installed, delete it and reinstall it in order to remove all existing data on the device.
Before proceeding, make sure that you’re logged in to your Google Drive account.
Next, open WhatsApp and enter your number. Make sure that the number you use to register in WhatsApp is the same as the number that you used to back up your files to Google Drive.
WhatsApp will automatically detect the backup file in your Google Drive account after the verification process. It will prompt you to restore your information. Click Continue.
5. Click Allow on all the permissions that show up.
6. WhatsApp will automatically choose the latest backup file in your Google Drive. Confirm that the information is correct, then tap Restore.
7. Wait for the data to be restored to the device.
8. Once the messages have been restored, click Next to complete the setup and verification process.
Part 2: Exporting The WhatsApp Data From Your Android Device To Your iPhone
The next step is to export the WhatsApp data you have on your third party Android phone to your iPhone. There are two methods to do this, which I will highlight one by one.
Method 1: Exporting WhatsApp Information By Email
This method is free, and it’s also the official method endorsed by WhatsApp. Unfortunately, it has a lot of limitations.
First of all, you can only export the last 40,000 messages (10,000 if there are media files), one chat at a time. Second, the file doesn’t transfer app-to-app. Instead, it turns your chats into documents that you can read through a file reader on your iPhone.
Lastly, and quite curiously, because of a policy issue, this feature isn’t available to German users.
If you’re not a German user, follow the steps below:
Open WhatsApp on your Android phone.
Tap whichever chat conversation you want to export.
3. On the top right of the screen, you will see the kebab icon. Tap on it to access the chat settings.
4. Click on More to expand the options.
5. Tap on “Export chat” to see all your export options.
6. Tap “Gmail” to send the file to an email address.
7. Enter the email address which you want to receive the file, and click send.
8. Open the email on your iPhone and download the file. Now you can read your previous chats as a text document at your leisure.
Method 2: Exporting WhatsApp Information Through A Third-Party App
Using a third-party app, such as MobileTrans oriTransor for WhatsApp, is a convenient and fast way to export WhatsApp data from Google Drive to an iPhone.
Get iTransor For WhatsApp
If you transfer your data using these apps, it will be readable by the WhatsApp application on your iPhone, and you can interact with the chats as normal. Both of the options I mentioned have free versions but keep in mind that the free versions are limited.
For the purposes of this guide, we’re using iTransor for WhatsApp. If you want to know more about MobileTrans, check out our in-depth review.
If this is the right method for you, then read the following instructions:
1. First, download and install the app to your desktop. You get to select which OS version you want to download, so make sure to download the version that matches the OS you have. You can download it using this link.
2. Once successfully downloaded and installed, open the app. There are three choices on the left side. The first one is “Transfer WhatsApp Across Devices” The second is “Back Up WhatsApp on Devices,” and the third one is “Restore/Export WhatsApp Backup.” The default will always be “Transfer WhatsApp Across Devices,” which is the option you need to select.
3. Next, connect both your iOS and Android devices to your computer. On your iPhone, click “Trust” when you’re asked whether to trust the computer or not. On your Android phone, make sure to turn on USB debugging and switch the USB settings to MTP/PTP. iTransor will provide a full step-by-step guide on how to do this, depending on your device.
4. Once you have both devices securely and functionally connected to your desktop, initiate the transfer through the app. You will be asked to purchase a paid version of iTransor to be able to access all features, but you can register your email address if you just want to use the limited free version.
After the entire process, your iPhone will reboot. Wait for the phone to turn itself back on.
Once everything is done and your device is back to normal, open WhatsApp and you should see that the data that you had in your Google Drive Backup has been restored to your iPhone’s WhatsApp.
Can iPhone restore WhatsApp from Google Drive?
iPhone can restore WhatsApp from Google Drive if you use the email export method or third-party apps to convert the backup file. However, it is not a straightforward procedure.
How can I transfer my WhatsApp backup from Android to iPhone for free?
You can transfer your WhatsApp backup from Android to iPhone for free by using Export chat in Settings. Go to Settings > Export chat, choose your email provider, and type the email address. On iPhone, open the email with the exported file and transfer WhatApp backup.
Export chat, choose your email provider, and type the email address. On iPhone, open the email with the exported file and transfer WhatApp backup.” } } ] } ]]>
Restore WhatsApp From Google Drive To iPhone
And there you have it! Now you know how to restore WhatsApp from Google Drive to iPhone, albeit indirectly.
Once again, to transfer your backup data from Google Drive to an iPhone device, you first need to download the data to an Android device and then have that device export it to your new iPhone.
This process could be quite cumbersome, but it’s a good thing that we have third party apps, such as iTransor for WhatsApp and MobileTrans, to make this process easier. If you followed the instructions properly, then you should be enjoying your old history on your new device right about now.
Get iTransor For WhatsApp
Did you like this article? Make sure to let us know your thoughts in the comments below!
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.